Best Hair Oil for Hair Growth and Baldness: Black Seed Oil (Kalonji Oil)
We are familiar with different hair problems like hair loss, hair fall, thinning of hair, etc. and must have gone through any of these hair problems at some point of time or other. There are a wide variety of hair care formulations like shampoo, conditioner, hair oil, hair mask, etc. Apart from these products, home remedies are another effective solution for hair problems. Nowadays, people are attracted to DIY remedies like preparing hair oil, mask, or shampoo using natural products that are easily available in our kitchen. These traditional DIY products are indeed effective, cost-efficient, and safe to use.
I had thin and short hair and I have tried many ready-to-use products but few suited me. I was concerned about the health of my hair and wanted a solution to overcome this hair problem. One of my friends has silky and long hair, so I asked her which oil is good for hair?
She suggested me a natural hair oil for hair growth, black seed oil. Let us go through the benefits of this effective oil and the procedure to prepare at home.
What are Black Seeds or Kalonji?
Black seeds are seeds of onion. The black cumin seeds are extracted to make an oil which is also popular as black cumin oil or kalonji oil in India.
Benefits of Black Seed Oil (Kalonji Oil)
1. Conditions Hair
The scalp produces natural oil or sebum to nourish your hair. Some people have oily hair and some have dry hair, this happens due to the difference in sebum production. Black seed oil balances the sebum production in the scalp to make them frizz-free, moisturized, nourished, and stronger.
2. Promotes Hair Growth
Your scalp health is directly proportional to your hair health as hair is formed in the follicles. Pollution, dandruff, and excess oil clog the follicles on the scalp hindering the hair growth. Black seed oil effectively treats eczema and psoriasis as it has anti-fungal, antibacterial, analgesic, anti-inflammatory properties, and essential nutrients. It maintains the pH level of the scalp, control the oil production in the scalp, and promotes hair growth.
3. Prevents Hair Fall
As mentioned above it has various therapeutic properties and vital nutrients, it strengthens the hair follicles and nourishes the scalp to curb hair fall and stimulate hair growth.
4. Stimulates Hair Regrowth
Thymoquinone and Nigellone are the powerful antihistamines which are essential to stimulate hair regrowth. It is prescribed to the patients who suffer from alopecia. Alopecia is a medical condition in which hair loss is noticed in patches. Black seed oil contains these antihistamines and helps to overcome baldness.
- Protects hair Against Damage
Black seed oil provides an antioxidant support to the hair by protecting it against free radical damage. It makes your hair capable to withstand dirt and pollution.
Ways to Use Black Seed Oil for Hair Growth
1. Kalonji Oil Massage
Massage your scalp with kalonji oil and leave it for 1 hour or 30 minutes before shampooing your hair. Make sure you focus on the patches where there is less hair. Once done with the scalp, apply the oil to your hair strands. After that wash it off with lukewarm water.
Note: never wash your hair with hot water, it should be either normal water or lukewarm water (in winters).
2. DIY Black Seed Oil
2. Glass or plastic container
3. 2 tbsp black seeds or kalonji
4. 2 tbsp fenugreek or methi dana
5. 50ml castor oil
6. 200ml coconut oil
1. Take a grinder. Make sure that it is completely dry otherwise all the dry ingredients will stick to it and damage their quality.
2. Make a fine powder of 2 tbsp black seed or kalonji
3. Make a fine powder of 2 tbsp fenugreek or methi dana
Note: Don’t grind kalonji and methi dana together as they both differ in size will not make a fine powder. So, it is advisable to grind them separately.
4. Mix these powders, 50ml castor oil, and 200ml coconut oil in a glass or plastic container, mix them well
5. You can either leave the kalonji and methi mixture in the oil or can seave it.
Note: Castor oil has a thick consistency, so both oils should be used in 3:1 ratio.
6. In order to infuse the goodness of each ingredient, it needs to be heated.
7. Now it is up to you whether you want to heat in using hot water method or direct infusion in sunlight.
Method 1: Hot Water
1. Take a large bowl or pan, fill it with some hot water
2. Take the required amount of oil in a bowl
3. Place the small bowl in the large bowl. Make sure the smaller one does not sink in water
4. Allow it 1-2 minutes and take it out
5. Massage this hot black seed and fenugreek oil on your scalp
Method 2: Sunlight Exposure
1. Place the oil container in sunlight for about 5-7 days to infuse all the properties of ingredients
2. Use it after 5-7 days without heating it further
For me, this is the best hair growth oil as I have noticed a visible difference in the texture of my hair. I have also noticed the growth of baby hair after using the fenugreek and black seed oil.